DAY TWENTY FOUR - YOU ARE WHAT YOU READ??



What was your favourite book as a kid? A favourite book/story can tell a lot about a person. Today, unfortunately, reading is becoming less "popular". Especially nowadays with computers, and TV's and smart phones taking up so much of our time! I know we do some reading on these screens, but there's something special about curling up in a corner with a book that takes you on a journey to someplace amazing.

One of my favourite books as a child was "What's For Lunch Charley" by Margaret Hodges. There was nothing fanciful about the book, but I remember I loved reading it. I was really drawn in by the style of writing and read it over and over in my bedroom. It's about a little boy who goes to school and has the same plain and boring lunch every day. There is a girl he goes to school with named Rosabelle who has a very fancy lunch every day, that he admires. One day Charley forgets his lunch and Rosabelle won't share her extravagant lunch - but good ol' plain Jane will share her peanut butter sandwich. (Obviously not written today as peanut butter is banned from school) But instead, Charley opts to eat out, and finds out a few new lessons and surprises along the way!

AM I NOT A PERSON THAT TURNS DOWN SOMETHING PERFECTLY GOOD IN HOPES TO FINDING SOMETHING PERFECTLY ELABORATE INSTEAD- WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES?






In my teen years I loved the author Madeleine L'Engle. My favourite book of hers would be "A Wrinkle in Time". It is a science fiction novel about a girl who travels through time searching for her lost father (a scientist). They meet many amazing characters along the way, and her little brother gets trapped by the evil "IT" brain that controls one of the worlds. Meg's mission is to find her brother and free him. The story is a grand adventure and confronts issues like conformity.

I DEEPLY RELATED TO FEELING LIKE A MISFIT AND WONDERED WHAT MY PLAN/PURPOSE OR MISSION WAS. I FIND I AM CONFRONTED WITH THE ISSUES OF CONFORMITY EVERY DAY.






As an adult, I recently read the book "A Town Like Alice" written by Nevil Shute. While I was on bedrest I enjoyed devouring this book. This is a story about a young English woman who meets a man in a Malaya and ends up moving to Australia to marry him. She is an extraordinary woman who takes on the challenge of integrating into the Australian culture and desiring to dream big - to see a small town reach it's full potential in the middle of the outback of Australia.

I LOVED THIS BOOK PROBABLY BECAUSE I RELATE SO MUCH TO THIS WOMAN AND HER JOURNEYS. OF COURSE OUR LIVES ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT BUT THERE IS A CONNECTION AND AN UNDERSTANDING OF "HER COURAGE".






Another book I got into while living in Australia is "Tomorrow When the War Began". I figured I should read them, as they are Leigh's favourite books from when he was growing up. A group of teenagers leave for a weekend to go camping and return home to find they are at war. It is a story about fighting back and their survival! I still have a few books yet to go to find out how it unfolds!

THIS BOOK CAPTURES ME BECAUSE IT IS A STORY OF YOUNG PEOPLE MAKING A DIFFERENCE.






I hope that I am able to instill a passion in my boys to love reading too. It is something I so enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes