DAY TWENTY FIVE - GOSSIP MUCH?


Okay, I'm a winner at this one! When it comes to keeping my mouth shut, it's not easy for sure! I've worked on this area before, many times. Like many, many times!! And I'm still learning!!! STILL!!!

I wonder why it's so hard for me to learn this lesson? I think partially because we are social creatures and especially as a female, relationships are so yummy to talk about. The harm comes when we begin to say nasty things about another human being. I used to think it wasn't that BIG of a deal until God called me on it.

It's not just the really nasty things, it's the juicy things or the "I'm-better-than-them" comments that we might say. Research shows that most people do this because there is some sort of failing or underlying self worth issue that we're wrestling with. We try to make ourselves feel better by cutting others down. Think about it. Isn't there some sort of pleasure in unloading about someone else to another friend?

"I can't believe she said...."
"Did you hear what he did..."
"What a moron. Who would...."

Apparently... APPARENTLY... the Bible says we are ALL made in His image...not just the less annoying people. And that He loves all of us...and not one person is more important than another...

"Oh! But I just can't stand..."
"If He only knew..."

If we were to live a life that would honour Jesus, how would this change how we responded to others? First we would stop cutting other people down, and relish in the grace that God has given us - as total sinners...

You know the wages of this kind of sin is death!? WHAT? DEATH!? Hardly. REALLY? GOSSIP = DEATH? But it's true. God says in Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death..." The penalty is death...THANKFULLY we have been given a way out... a gift! ETERNAL LIFE and that can only come with repentance. I commented on repentance in a previous post... To repent doesn't mean to just be sorry... It is turning around and living completely differently than you were before.

How do I repent in this case? Well for starters STOP GOSSIPING! So much easier said than done. It is like a poison - a very tasty "donut tasting" poison! It's so hard to stop. First I have to realise when I'm doing it. Then I must act on it. Instead of saying something nasty about someone else, think of things you could say to honour them - I know seems cheezy right? But think about them. Are you loving them as God has called you too!?

Also it is helpful to consider where the other person is coming from... Eg - How does God see them? Are they acting this way because of something else in their life? Give them the benefit of the doubt and be on guard for them! You'll find you aren't so frustrated with them in the future the more you think of ways to bless them!

Imagine the "peace" we could enjoy together if we learned to shut our mouths a bit sooner and opened our ears to hear what God is doing around us. I think we'd live in a different world for sure.

So here's to another day/week/month of trying to think the best of someone else and to practice being an encouragement too. Before your next rant, ask God to show you how you can be a better support to someone rather than a jerk.

Who's arrogant enough to cast the first stone? Eek!

Comments

Deb said…
Ha. Oh Ange. Food for thought AGAIN. I don't read bible verses from a literal perspective but love to think about how I can respond to what they say in my life today. And so I will do that today after reading your thoughts. Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes