DAY THIRTY FOUR - ADOPTION

Today my husband brought me a gift - A wii and 13 games. He got it second hand and all the parts for a really great deal! I was surprised and chuffed! It was a gift for my "Adoption Day"!

35 years ago, on April 1 (I was 3 months old) I was fortunate enough to be adopted into a loving family in Saskatchewan Canada. Tomorrow marks the day. My parents always told me I was adopted, and always made it a special anniversary. Every year, we'd celebrate my adoption day almost like a birthday. I say "almost" because I never really got presents, but mom would cook whatever I wanted for supper, and would also bake me a cake. I often got cards, and was always doted upon by my parents and my brothers.

I don't think adoption was a super common thing in 1977. (I don't really know) But I was always impressed that my parents chose to do it, especially knowing all the hoops you needed to jump through to make it happen. I mean I got to grow up in a great family, because my parents chose to "break out of the mold and do something different". My parents have never been the "mold" type of people. They always did what they thought was best in spite of what others thought about them. Sometimes it was embarrassing - especially when I was a teenager! But in retrospect it taught me that they loved me, and it also made me respect them more.

I've never attempted to find my birth-mom although I've entertained the idea on many occasions - mostly when "my real" mom was making me mad and I didn't want to do what she said. I loved my parents so much, I worried it would hurt them if I searched for her. And probably more accurately I was scared of what might happen if I found her too. I've always felt deeply emotional about it and I'm not sure how I could cope with being rejected. So it is easy to keep her at a distance. Still, I wonder if she'd ever want to meet me... and now especially that I have kids.

This year on my adoption day, I feel strangely compelled to pray for her, and I wonder if this is the beginning of something... My family will always be my family, but what would it be like to meet the woman who decided to "birth me" instead of abort me despite her own difficult circumstances? I often wonder if she knew God too, and I hope and pray that she does.


Now And Forever More

Long before the world began
My name was carved upon Your hand
Waiting through the years that passed
To give Your love to me at last

Years passing by cannot alter my value to you
Time is my ally in proving Your love to be true

You call out my name
I, I trust in Your love
You know me, You love me

Now and forevermore

FROM THE "ART" CD
written by Nathan Rieger

Sung by Ari Neufeld & Kim Johnson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes