Irrational Fears

I have been overly nervous about walking anywhere in ditches or long grass, cause of my insane fear of snakes. According to everyone it is unheard of to see a snake in this area...

Not long after that conversation, I went for run, to overcome my irrational fears.

About 10 min into the jaunt...
I SAW A SNAKE - and I could hardly breathe, or move. Luckily I got outta there, quickly.

I came home and told the story to a slightly skeptical audience.
I took Leigh to show him, to prove it to him.
It was a brown snake.
So Leigh, "How poisonous is this snake?"
"Ummm...probably in the top 5"

My first thought was what do you do, when bit by a snake?
And secondly...
Irrational fears, not so irrational after all.
And who would be the one to find it?
That would be me.
Thank goodness it was dead.

I can't even blog a photo, cause they freak me out that bad!

Comments

jamie said…
haha ange that's awesome... you should be like the female version of the croc hunter. that would help you in your fears :)

i like how your posts sort of become a message board for people to talk to each other. :) love you!
Mark said…
I don't know who told you there are no snakes around here, I've seen plenty.

Oh and the brown snake is actually number 3 in the world but we also have the most venomous, the Inland Taipan. It is 4 times more venomous than the brown snake. All Australian snake venom values can be found at http://www.barefootbushman.com/venoms.htm

Have fun on your next run.
Reesh said…
You sound like me when I visit Dev's family in New jersey. There they have ticks and poison ivy in the woods and everyone has a story of the time they had a tick embed itself into there neck - GROSS!!!! When we go hiking there I can never relax, I always feel itchy and paranoid and I just think about how much I love hiking thru our tame woods. But then I always get reminded by someone in New Jersey of how we are known for our bears, which I don't even think about when I hike in BC. So I think probably the more time you spend there the less you'll think about snakes because you will realise that they probably aren't as common as you think.

Hope that helps...
Ariana said…
AGH, snakes. *shudder*

Mark, quit pretending to be so calm about it. We all know you'd scream like a little girl if you saw one.
Angela Oliver said…
I agree Ariana.
He'd scream like a girl...mark you better check under your bed tonight...
And Reesh thanks for the "feel better" That's really true.Hope you are feeling well these days??? You are really so cute pregnant!
Oh Joy said…
OH MY GOOD GOLLY! (Yes, Mark, I drive a Soccermom van AND I say "good golly", leave it alone!)

That is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!! Just plain disgusting. What else should one say?

G
Kristina said…
I loved the grand finalie of your story, the snake was dead!. hey it says in teh bible that snakes will bite us but there poison will not harm us. you should memorize it. and claim it as your own.
Lindsey said…
very nice ang! i am glad you are still alive! (tee hee hee)
lindsey
Mark said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark said…
I only screamed like a little girl once when i saw a snake. Ok, maybe a couple of times.

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes