DAY NINETEEN - EVERY GOOD GIFT

The Israelite's are an excellent example of God intervening and setting His people free from captivity. Interesting how we are quick to judge them however, when they turn to God and begin complaining, "Oh! Thanks a lot God for delivering us from slavery! Now we're stuck in the desert with no food or water! Thanks a lot for saving us so we can just DIE here instead!"

And of course as we find out later, God again provides them with both water (from a rock!) and food (from the sky!). So now we're thinking, "Wow - imagine what kind of faith I could have if God would just do some sort of miracle like that in my life. I know that I could trust Him more and serve Him wholeheartedly without complaining!" But unfortunately their complaining didn't stop there. And neither does ours.

Take a look at your life today. Look at all that's around you! Aren't we blessed with SOOOOO MUCH already!?? What else does God have to do for us to see that He is already alive and active around us? Shouldn't we (like the Israelites) be on our knees before God thanking Him for his favour on our lives every day, every minute? I mean, what have we done to deserve His generosity? Nothing. It is by His grace, His choice, His passion, that we can still be in relationship with Him - especially after we doubt and fear, and complain, and slander His name ALL THE TIME.

But today, instead of beating ourselves down for our inability to be grateful and thankful, let's look instead at what we do have to offer. We spend a lot of our lives berating ourselves, condemning ourselves, and telling ourselves we are worthless. And this is actually somewhat true - in the realm of what we have to offer. The truth is we really don't have much to give... except dirty hands, a selfish heart, a filthy mind, and a broken spirit. But God created us - He made us... He loved us into being. And that makes us worthwhile. The very fact that God created us means we have value.

The Bible says in James 1 "17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

So anything good that is in us - is from God and that's amazing! I can't imagine looking at my children when they were born and thinking, "Hmmm, well they haven't done very much to deserve my love, so I will wait til they can prove to me how good they can be, before I choose to love them back!"

No! We love them despite what they can offer - whether they have dirty nappies, whether they spew up on us, or whether they throw a tantrum. Nothing could change the love that I have for them. In the same way, God, our creator, looks at us. There is nothing that we can do/achieve/be or make that can increase His love for us. He just loves us in spite of our inabilities and our sin - just the way we are.

However when Malakai or Levi choose to smile at me, laugh with me, or make good choices with their lives (in the future), my heart expands! It brings me great joy to know my kids are truly happy and enjoying life, and choosing the best things for themselves. I think this is so important. I want them to succeed in a way that brings them the most abundant life they can have. Wouldn't God want that even more so for our lives?

So today, consider what good things/choices we can do today that will bless God and bring Him the most joy.

For me, it is my voice. I love to sing - and I want Him to feel blessed by how I use the gift He's given me. I also love to be in leadership. I know that He has given me the gift and the ability to help disciple others in their walk with God. I pray that I will not misuse it or abuse it. And lastly He has bestowed upon me the honour of being a wife and a mother. I hope that I raise my family in such a way that God is honoured through it. And I pray that I will be the best partner I can be for my husband as well as be an excellent example for my children to follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes