DAY TWO - THE EXODUS

LENT: Read here to know more about Lent and the book I'm reading for this season

EXODUS - The act of escaping, often from a hostile environment

After yesterdays challenge regarding "slavery" it is only fitting that the next focus we look at is "Exodus". In the Bible this was a time where Moses was encouraged by God to go confront Pharaoh and set His people free. I'm sure Moses was freaking out. Pharaoh obviously wasn't a nice man so I can't imagine Moses was thinking it was going to be easy.

In the same way, if we are to fully embrace a "living experience" with God, we need to practice an Exodus. The problem is that it means we have to "leave the comfortable" and embrace the challenging.

Why bother? I think we get stuck in our ways and allow ourselves to think we are content, when in reality, we are too apathetic, lazy or even scared to see what God might have in store for us. Living a life with God is exciting and thrilling especially when you get the chance to see Him work. So when we've felt like we've hit a dry "spell" in our walk with God, is it because of our own apathy or fear?

In many parts of the world there are still a lot of people who struggle and live in "real" slavery, and it is a shame that we are so good at ignoring it. There are many people who are working at seeing change in this, but it will take more than a few compassionate people and a few dollars to see change. Why doesn't God just eradicate the issue? I believe it's because he cares so much about you and me that he wants to partner with us - and work together at being a part of the solution. The unfortunate part is that again we stand in our own way and choose not to get involved.

In today's western world, we still do not live freely. It is easy to be slaves to many things including our possessions, our gadgets, our addictions, etc. If we are to free ourselves from these oppressions, we have to choose to leave the comfort that these things bring us, and embrace the challenge of freeing ourselves from them. Of course this isn't easy and requires courage.

The question I wrestle with today is how do I plan an Exodus in my life for the things that I feel I am a slave too? Yesterday I stated that I'm someone who struggles with:
a) wanting more stuff
b) striving for success
c) addiction

I have learned that one way we can overcome (or execute an exodus) is to move in the opposite spirit. For example - the spirit of "wanting more stuff" is an issue of satisfaction. So in order to overcome this battle, I must choose to live in the opposite spirit and instead embrace things that bring me "real satisfaction". Could giving money towards the issues in Sudan be more satisfactory then getting another new outfit?

The spirit of striving for success I think is "finding a sense of security and validation from what others think of me". I think the opposite spirit is looking to God for my validation and trusting Him enough to follow His plan for my life. Instead of going to my family and friends and saying "Look at me! Look at me! Look at what I did!" I could opt to ask God his opinion on the matter.

And lastly the spirit of addiction I think for me includes "loss of control and discipline". I think it is important for me to establish some new habits that can be a healthier choice. For example, instead of gobbling down 3 pieces of chocolate cake, I can choose to have just one small piece.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes