The Beginning of Lent - Shrove Tuesday

Well it's Shrove Tuesday, and I'm excited to get started and participate in Lent this year. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Although Lent is generally observed in Catholic tradition, I have gained great insight and discipline by practicing this fast on my own in the recent past.

Lent this year begins Wednesday 22 February and ends Thursday just before Easter 5 April. It is 40 days long and excludes Sundays - often referred to as "feast days". I heard someone say that the length of lent is one-tenth of the year - almost like a tithe.

There are a variety of different reasons to participate in fasting for lent - some of which include:
-To prepare for the Easter season
-To draw closer to God
-To refocus your faith walk (through prayer and fasting)
-To have breakthrough in certain areas of your life
-To gain clarity and guidance for the future

I am keen to see God speak to me in these 3 areas (if it is His timing):

1) Future
2) Family
3) Faith

Although my "fasting" journey will be somewhat private, I feel challenged to blog a thought or prayer during the 40 days. I hope it will be an encouragement to you all. My friend Em put me onto a book called "A Place at the Table - 40 days of Solidarity with the Poor" by Chris Seay which I will be using as a daily focus throughout this fast.



And off we go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes