Fifa Fever

I have learned so much during our first year of marriage - about Leigh, about myself, about our cultures and strengths we carry, etc. It's been incredible. Most recently I learned about Leigh's emotion. Those of you who know Leigh, know him to be a fairly even-keeled guy, not really ever on the brink of an emotional spazz or freak out. (that seems to be a "strength" that I carry in the relationship instead, not him) However, it wasn't until the Fifa World Cup started that I saw differetly.

For starters, he is VERY committed to his nation - very patriotic. So when we were in Australia, and their team made it passed the qualifiers it was an experience in itself watching our family on the edge of their seats, willing the team on to the next round. It, of course came down to penalty shots at the end of the game, and I was certain, Leigh or his sister Sarah were gonna have a hernia or something. The relief I felt when they won was one of joy, not only because Australia made it through the first time in like 20 or 30 years or something, but because I was worried for my husbands health. I can't find that picture now, but I promise you, it's intense!

Our area of the city Little Italy on "Commercial Drive" is jam packed every morning with fans from all over the world, as they cheered their teams on. The Drive came alive with highly decorated people dancing and cheering in the colors supporting their team, while yelling, and honking horns...It's been quite an experience. We even did a little victory run of our own when we beat Korea hanging flags out the window singing and generally whooping it up.

Now during the world cup, as I said before I've experienced seeing a vast range of emotions from my husband. Supreme joy when they played and have won, intense frustrations at referees for bad calls, worry that the team won't make it through, stress in the final moments of the games, wonderment that the coach would put an amateur in goal, disappointment when the team lost, and empathy as each one of our close "international" friends on our staff went through their own world cup losses - England, Korea, Switzerland, and Australia. There was a day when we ALL had made it through. Yet, as of yesterday we've all felt the pain of loss now too. It took me watching one game, and I was hooked on the thrill of it all too.

Fifa fever - It's contagious.

Comments

Ariana said…
Yes, those Olivers certainly have a contagious spirit when it comes to sports. I didn't care about the world cup at all either until Sarah started talking about it, and now I can even name the four teams left! Hehehe.
Oh Joy said…
Well I got stuck at the part where Leigh (and Sarah) almost got hernias. You can NOT let that happen to him. Trust me. Do not let that happen.kut
Angela Oliver said…
trust me glenna I just about commented that seeing your family go through the hernia made me aware that I new I wasn't making a lightheared comment...they are loopy about soccer...it's crazy really crazy - i agree - i would never wish that craziness on anyone...you'd have to come here and take care of leigh if that happened tho, cause you're way more versed in that area of life than I...
and by the way -
I miss you incredibly - especially today.
Carlene said…
We may be committed to our sport, but I don't think we quite need to be committed yet! Although I think the Australian population may need prozak added to the water supply after the Socceroos defeat at the hands of the Referree (did I, an ex ref say that!). Don't worry Glenna, we have survived the highs and lows of the World Cup without serious injury.
Carlene said…
Leigh has never been committed but he did have a short stay in hospital as a child. I wonder why??????
Ross O said…
Cruel women, the boy is not crazy, just high on life. How typical is that smile in the photo, there were a lot of them on his wedding day. Don't listen to that comment about being committed from that woman, she's not his Mum, we don't know who his mum is.
Mark said…
That's not how the saying goes Father. It's His not his Dad, we don't know who his Dad is.

Wait a minute. Mum is there something you should be telling us?

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes