DAY THIRTY SEVEN - A DAY IN THE CITY



When I lived in Vancouver, I absolutely loved it! But when I left the city I could always feel myself relax, which is why I always assumed I was a farm girl through and through. However, the more and more I visit Melbourne the more and more I fall in love. It is one of the most amazing cities with such a cool vibe. Today I decided to tackle an adventure to the city with my 2 boys. I took my friend Krystle and we met up with our 2 friends Mel and Anthea for lunch on Brunswick street. We were blessed with some pretty sweet parking, which is always a plus and also had the pleasure of a +25C day! The day was starting out great!

Unfortunately I have become aware that I'm not quite the "hip-urban-mom" I thought I maybe was. I never wanted to believe the fact that twin boys might be a handful to take to the city. I didn't want kids to ever stand in the way of "doing" things either. But as I'll report here, I soon learned that even though I longed not to change, it is inevitable, and something I'm still having to learn. For starters, I've found I'm not the best juggler in a non-kid friendly environment.



I nearly had a meltdown in the restaurant we were eating in, when Levi filled his pants, then filled them again, and then Kai followed suit 5 minutes later. With nowhere to change them (as Brunswick shops are lucky to even have a toilet let alone a changing station) I had to opt for changing them in the pram in the restaurant... (hmmm enjoying that food?) And when I went to change Kai, he decided to see what kind of "mom license" I had by continuing to "go-to-the-bathroom" on me, his clothes, the pram, the extra nappy, and the floor. Need I remind you that we're in a restaurant!? EEK! Sweat was pouring off my head, as I quickly tried to change them before the entire restaurant got stunk out, and before the waiter came by. Every time I quickly cleaned Kai up, he went again - I nearly had a hernia and shouted out, "Stop shitting all over me Kai!"

I'm sure the onlookers were impressed. I so wish I was the mom that could hold it all together, that could "breezily" take care of two uber cute boys without a hitch...that could easily roll with the punches and have the kids that always smiled, never cried, or caused a fuss. We are pretty lucky with these boys, full of energy and joy, but I've had to come to terms that they are still babies and do require some maintenance. I heard myself say today, "When did they decide they could have their own opinions about things?"

Although our pram is the ultra-futuristic-super-duper-whammy pram, it is still a double - and it does still require space. Maneuvering around passerby's, outdoor tables, dog poo, broken sidewalks, and cars was a challenge. But we did it - and with adoration from the crowds that passed by! People tend to think twins are cute - and well, my boys are no exception!




We found some killer coffee - which brought me GREAT JOY, and decided to go for a stroll around the neighbourhood. This is when I finally began to relax and really enjoy myself. I had a great time just chillin' with the girls!




Then the ride home began - 5 o'clock rush hour, 2 tired babies, a tired mom that has to go to the bathroom, plus feeding time make such a wonderful mix in a small enclosed space. I wondered if Krystle would remain my friend when it was all over. There is a decibel that cries reach where every mom thinks, this is it - I think I've lost it! Imagine that, with two! When Kai would finally stop screaming, Levi would "encourage" him with a few cries of his own until Kai would start screaming again.... I lovingly looked at Krystle who sacrificed her own comfort by twisting her shoulder and arm around so that she could be feeding a dummy while trying not to be sick in the car, and thanked God for her. Thankfully the traffic continued to inch along far enough so that we were able to find a McDonalds for a pitstop And thank God for that!!! (I never thought I'd be thankful for a McD's!) Not long after that, a few more cries later, we were out of the city, and the boys finally fell fast asleep.

This meant Krystle and I could finally have some "girl chats". These girl chats and the stroll in the city were valuable enough to me to warrant another visit to the city again soon. I mean it! Every last hiccup and cry, was all worth it to me because of the relationships developed. Even if it was just for a small chat or a great coffee... I would do it all again in a heartbeat...but maybe this time, I'd try to find some more kid friendly places!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes