DAY THIRTY FIVE - SET AN EXAMPLE

Today I was playing with Kai and Levi and trying to teach them new tricks. I was able to get Kai to poke his tongue out at me. Levi was just too interested in eating the phone to do any tricks at all today! He loves to eat...that's his trick!




But it got me thinking of a verse in 1 Timothy 4:12 which says, " Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."

Hmmmm....set an example. That is a strong and difficult encouragement. I specifically love this verse as it states the importance of setting your example now - while you are young - not when you are old and have "lived and experienced everything". Not when you have gone to Bible school and received your degree or diploma. Not when you have become a pastor of a church, or a youth group leader. Not after you have had a family, or even developed your career.

In todays' world we place high value on experience and education. And while there is nothing wrong with this there is the one simple truth that this isn't necessarily God's plan for everyone. In fact in many occasions, he released many "young" people into leadership - far before they were ready. This put them in a place where they had to have dependence on God as well as put credit where credit was due - not on their own strengths or abilities - but on God and His power!

Secondly, this verse encourages you to set your example in these areas:
in speech (what comes out of our mouths)
in conduct (how we behave)
in love (for God and for others)
in faith (being a light to others)
in purity (repentance and freedom)

I just spent a minute meditating on each one of those areas, and I know full well that I have some work to do! No lounging by the pool today! LOL! I pray that God will give me the strength, the wisdom, and the fervor to be obedient to Him and His plan for my life. You never know, He may be preparing me for the next crazy David and Goliath story...

And gosh, I hope I'm a great example for my kids to follow - that they learn a heck of a lot more from me than just poking out their tongue!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes