Floods!



This past week, I can't stop thinking and praying for those affected by the floods. Though much of the devastation has been localised in the Queensland region, it has also now reached into New South Whales state and now down into Victoria - though on a much lesser scale. Today, in Ballarat we are facing closed roads, due to flooding and tree branches from the violent windstorms. Communities nearby are being evacuated because of flooding rivers... Beaufort, Creswick, Horsham, Avoca...


Flood updates are running 24-7 on TV and I can't stop watching them. I can't help but see the damage and wonder how different our lives were a few short weeks ago over Christmas - enjoying a family dinner together. In QLD entire houses and communities are completely under water. People are still missing. Families are torn apart - children are lost....I saw horrific pictures of animals sitting on rooftops waiting to be rescued...horses, cows, sheep, kangaroos..the list goes on. And I wonder, "What is it like to be sitting on top of your house in the dark, waiting to be rescued - watching the water rise over the gutters of your rooftop lapping at your toes" or “What is it like to watch entire sections of your neighoburhood be washed away wondering if you will survive?” And I wish for them it was over


I am being educated about floods. We are now looking at recovery and it’s hot and the foul smells are increasing because of power shortages causing dead fridges and freezers, mixed with sewage, and rubbish, and whatever else that is flowing through the water. They are urging people to protect themselves from broken debris and contamination. Food shortages are beginning to happen. River sharks have been seen swimming by. Drying out in such a humid area is almost impossible.

The damage is massive...It's hard to believe only a couple short years ago, our state was ravaged by fires. Two tragedies completely opposite and frighteningly feeling the same.

As awful as this is, I see how people are working together, and I see a nation bringing support. I remember Black Friday and the fires that were endured, and the memory brings me hope as I recall how the community rose up to overcome. Pray for us!

Comments

The Duecks said…
WOW!
Stay Dry!

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes