Half Way There!



I just recently turned 30 and my sister in law bought me this awesome shirt from the gap for my birthday. You may be familiar with the campaign that Bobby Shriver, Bono, and Oprah are supporting for medical aide for the widespread epidemic of HIV and aids in Africa. The campaign is called product [red]

Companies are supporting this effort by donating a portion of their proceeds towards it. If anything this campaign has done lots to at least raise awareness. What a great way to make a difference in the world!

Half Way There

At the most recent conference that my husband Leigh and I attended there was a presentation made with regards to the CLEAN WATER ISSUES of Africa. Many people are dying and are incredibly sick because of lack of clean water - with some solutions being as simple as educating Africans on "how to" dig clean wells.

According to the United Nations, more than half of Africa's population lacks access to clean water. That's three hundred sixty million people. I know the number is impossible to really grasp. It's too big for my imagination.
The idea of "Half Way There" is that the "glass is half full". We are hoping to be the drop that helps to fill the glass. A drop is good and can make a difference but maybe together with your help, we can be more of a steady stream...

It's not really about the T-shirt.

Although the t-shirts are great and they promote awareness of this massive issue, the fact of the matter is that we are purchasing the cost of the t-shirts ourselves, and it allows us to put the ENTIRE proceeds earned, towards the project, not just a portion of it!

Yes! That's right the ENTIRE proceeds from the shirts are sent to dig wells in Africa. We expect to be able to contribute between $6,000 and $7,000 US. (A well can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $25,000 depending on complexity)

Are You In?

Here's how it works.

Our MA staff in Vancouver would like to purchase one bundle of t-shirts (48) from our personal pockets - approximately $200 US to start.

We will then sell the shirts for $20/each and give the entire proceeds to the project. If we sell all these shirts we can purchase another bundle, and continue on selling them too...and on and on....

You can be involved in 1 of 3 ways:

1) You can help with the initial cost of the bundle of shirts ($200 US)
2) You can buy a t-shirt from us in Vancouver for $20 CDN
3) You can set up your own funding project (buy a bundle yourself and sell the shirts at your church/school to raise funds for the project) See the website for more information on that!

Contact me and let me know...
Together we can make a difference!

Comments

Joel M-E said…
I think the One Campaign is a great idea - but I am way too cheap to spend that kind of money on a t-shirt... I personally think it is better to just send the money and buy a cheaper t-shirt.... But you are doing even better, selling a very reasonablly priced t-shirt, and making money to give away out of it. :-)

The next question is what does it cost to mail mail a shirt to Edmonton (Canada - for the internationals reading this blog)? It would be very easy to set up a little paypal store to sell these shirts.... just takes a little time.... you can email me if you want one... no guarantees... as projections say that today I am increasing my fatherhood by 50% (however, no action yet)
Joel M-E said…
I also noticed that Samaritan's Purse is one of the partners.... an excellent organization - They have a thing called a "Canadian Water Filter" that filters the water to make it drinkable.. and they cost about $20 (developed by an Engineer in Calgay)
jamie said…
hmm i might be interested in a shirt.. which one are you getting? There are so many kinds.
hannah said…
oh i sent you an email saying i'd give 10 bucks but now that i actually READ the post...haha i'll buy a tshirt. count me in...
Angela Oliver said…
ha ha ha
jamie - I can only assume that you are joking since there is only 1 style of shirt right now!

a brown shirt with the logo!

Let me know if you're in!

And Joel - we can get a shirt to you in Edmonton. I am thinking to get Leigh to put a paypal button on my blog if someone wants to give to the cause - they can do it online.

thanks Hannah for your contribution - you're awesome and always so supportive.
jamie said…
hey ange... sorry i didn't fully read your post I guess.. I thought it was the RED project you were collecting money for so I was meaning like which word is on the front of the shirt, etc etc.. but I get it now :)
Joel M-E said…
So can I send you some $$ for a tshirt using the paypal button on your site?
Carlene said…
I transfered the money for the T Shirts in - used a currency converter to get it right in Canadian dollars - so let me know if its short!
Oh Joy said…
Carlene, look at you. Already sending money and doing exchange-rates...

Instead I said put one aside and bring it for me in 4 months. And bring extra's so I can make family and friends buy them.

Seriously thinking of setting up a booth at our bro/sister-in-law's reception...Just a small booth, out of the way. It'll be classy. Nothing like selling merchandise at a post-wedding reception. That's not tacky at all, after all the money goes to a good cause.
Angela Oliver said…
wow!
Thanks for your support friends.
I think the t-shirt booth at a wedding reception is hysterical - AND it does go to a good cause. Both Jason and Blanca are passionate about world missions right!? Perfect!!!!

He he he

Joel I emailed you re: payment
philter said…
great post Angela. I love my shirt. I am wearing it right now. How is the peg?

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes