Thirty-Four and Homesick



I have to admit prior to my birthday I was feeling rather blase about turning another year older...which then turned into homesickness. Most think that once you turn 34 you should be fairly independent of "mommy" and over "crying" about the fact that she's not there to plan your parties anymore. And the whole idea of trying to plan something was a little overwhelming as I still have small anxiety attacks in groups of people - especially in the "random" group of friends that we have, and a desire to keep all worlds happy - but I felt like being "courageous" and after a small pity party with Leigh and my friend Em, I decided to put a plan into action...And I'm glad I did!

Thursday, I opened a parcel from Canada - and for the first time in ages, I felt like it was ok to "be a kid" again, and be excited about opening up a parcel - and lovingly looking at every item, and thinking about how each person chose each thing and guessed why they did. It warmed my very homesick heart.

Then Leigh showered me with gifts, including tickets to the Australian Open. I have never been into tennis until I moved here, but for some reason I'm really into it, and maybe one day will try it out myself!

Since Leigh had Friday off, we decided to have my party then - (my REAL birthday - in Canada) and themed it - AS A HAWAIIAN LUAU!! We got cheesy decorations and invited people to dress up if they wanted and I pretended I was a kid again.

Thankfully Leigh's mum is as generous and giving as mine, as she took on the role of organising most of the food. Leigh's new brew was ready and we were able to share it - and he also got the meat going on the spit in the backyard - and boy was there a lot of meat!!! We even made a loot bag - and sent guests home with hunks a meat as a party favour....lol!

Since I desired to make the party easy going we had a Hawaiian Five O shooting gallery, a bubble machine, tiki lights, the whole works.


And check out the Hawaiian Princess Cake that Carlene made me!!!

Thanks heaps mum...and thanks to those people that came and made me feel special and honoured. I appreciate all of your friendships...

Later on that evening Justin and Ross returned from their epic journey of getting my biggest present - the BOAT!! ha ha!

Comments

Unknown said…
wow! looks like a fun day...
Angela Oliver said…
it could only be SO much fun without you Em!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes