COUSINS - THE KALAMBAGNI'S

In the past week, while I've laid here, I've been reminiscing about my childhood. I have so many fantastic memories of growing up on the farm, and as I prepare to become a mom, I can't help but wonder if my kids will feel the same kinds of joys, freedoms, excitements, and adventures as I did as a child.

I was adopted into a wonderful family. I grew up on a large farm in the prairies of Canada, with wonderful parents, 2 older brothers, and the privilege of having my grandparents living across the yard. My grandma was robust and kind, loving and down-to-earth, and she took "no guff" from any of us kids. I'd know we were in trouble when she'd call us "little stinkers". She often watched her "stories" (soaps) in the afternoon (which mom didn't want us to interrupt or see) and would head off to "rest her eyes" afterwards. You were not allowed to say she was napping, only "resting her eyes", even if you could hear her snoring. And she abhored the snakes that lived under her doorstep, and would mightily kill them with a garden hoe. I always admired her strength to do that.

Grandpa was also very loving and kind, and often spoiled us when he'd return from Kindersley with a bucket of KFC or a small gift. I remember him buying me a chalkboard with an orange border once, and I thought it was the most thrilling gift I could ever receive. I also remember that at Christmas time when all the cousins were together , not only would we spend hours getting family photos taken, he'd generously hand out our gifts to each of us. Often it was the same top (one for the girls and one for the guys) in our various sizes. I specifically remember a mint green sweater with a silver tiger on it. Fortunately I was one of the older girl cousins and only received 1 hand me down, whereas our youngest cousin Steph, probably had to wear that sweater for 10 years, as she grew into each of our sizes!

AMBROS'
Because we had the privilege of having our grandparents on the farm, it also meant we got to see our cousins a lot, as they often came to visit throughout the year. Uncle Bob and Auntie Susan lived the closest, which made it possible for us to see them most often. I have fantastic memories of playing outdoor games with Steven, Devon, and Jeana in our large coulee that often resulted in Jeana and I hiding in the dark trying not to pee our pants before our older brothers found us. Jeana was always a little bit braver than me, but I'd certainly act tough so she couldn't tell.

When we'd visit them on their vegetable farm in Aberdeen, the game would change slightly, with the added bonus of ammunition - throwing rotten veggies at each other. Jeana and I would hide and just hope we wouldn't be found. When we were found, we'd scream and scream, and run around carrying on as if it was really the end of the world, while rotten vegetables whizzed past us. Sometimes we'd try to retaliate, but being much younger than our older brothers, our attacks weren't very accurate, and we couldn't run away as fast when they'd turn back on us. I can't imagine what our parents thought when we'd traipse back into Auntie Susan's kitchen with rotten tomatoes dripping from our hair, eyes shining, chattering about all the adventures that just happened, as if we had just survived the most important game in the world!

AGNISH'S
My cousins who lived in New Jersey came to stay with us most summers - if not, every other summer. This was an event I looked forward to every year. It helped the summers not seem so long, and gave us memories and friendships we could carry forever. We had an old run-down house on the farm which acted as a clubhouse for us for many years. It was a perfect hideaway from grown ups and fantastic for exercising our imaginations. Every year my cousin Asha (and sometimes my friend Jaime) and I, would collect as many "pop bottles" we could find around the yard, to raise funds for our camp-out nights on the roof of the old house. Basically any money that we collected from recycling the bottles was used to buy as much candy and chips we could get our hands on at the Red Rooster in town. The next morning we'd wake up feeling pretty rough, with a hangover of an overdose-of-sugar, lack-of-sleep, and sleeping-slightly-slanted on a roof all night!

I also remember my cousin Jai, who was a bit mischievious, calling up a school mate of Jason's and arranging a fight with her macho boyfriend in town, which of course he never showed up to. I also got mad at Paul once, and threw a rock at him (or in my defense, in his "general direction") and hit him square in the forehead. I think he may have had to get stitches - and I was horrified and apologetic for days afterwards. Asha bought me my first Debbie Gibson tape, and I would sing "Red Hot" over and over until Paul and Jai would show up and tease us that her name was actually Debbie Gibberhead.

KALAMOUTSOS'
My other aunt and uncle were amazingly hard working people with their businesses in Jasper, so we didn't get to see them as often as their businesses boomed during the holiday seasons. They lived in a tourist town, in the mountains and ran a very successful Greek restaurant - the Palisades. It was always wonderful to see them when they visited on the farm, but my strongest memories of them were when we visited them in Jasper. We'd often go there on skiing holidays, and in the evenings I'd always look forward to indulging myself in their beautiful restaurant. Uncle Louis always said "order whatever you want" and that sort of freedom was incredible to comprehend as a child- and I'd quickly look to mom and dad who would smile and nod their approval. The food was always amazing, and Auntie Shirley would always comply to my simple demand, "oh, Auntie Shirley, surely you could make me a Shirley Temple!" and we'd laugh, and she'd whisk away and would return with the most wonderfully grown-up looking drink!
I loved my cousins Rina, Christie, George, and Steph-y, but was probably closest with Christie. I would bend her ear for hours, chattering incessantly about which boy I was interested in at the time, and would spend hours discussing the pros and cons of each potentinal "non-existent" relationship I was imagining I was having. As long as these conversations lasted (often way into the night) we still had energy to get up early in the morning and head to Marmot Basin for a full day of skiing. My cousins were much better skiiers than I, but I did my best to overcome my fears and push myself to improve every year, with only one broken collar bone to show for all my years of bravery. As I recall, a ski trip to Jasper wasn't complete without a viewing of the old classic movie "Snowball Express".



Miles away in a country far from home, far from the memories I remember, I realise for my children, they will have their own adventures and memories to experience. I only hope that I can pass on the same values that our families did to us, in creating a place where we felt safe, and loved, and free to explore life - a place where our parents valued family time and fun as a priority, even among all of the long days of hard work. My Auntie Marleen even came up with a family name that included our whole tribe - the Kal-amb-agni's, and I count it a privilege to be a part of this ever growing family tree.



*I wish I had photos of these times to post here, but I believe most of them are on the farm and I don't have access to them. If I can get my hands on some in the near future, I will post a few pictures for you to see!

Comments

Ariana said…
Aw, I just LOVE this post. I have so many of the same memories of your family and extended family!
Reesh said…
Visiting your families with Devinder is what made me want to have a family with him, to be a part of the amazing Kal-amb-agni's.
Carol said…
There are some blessing to bed rest, not only for the good of your health but for a amazing blog.Who else has time to write such wonderful stories of their childhood. I always remember you as such a happy person. Always having a smile and now I know why. Love ya and keep blogging.

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes