5 Things Australian I've Learned

BALLARAT POST OFFICE

5) The POSTAL SERVICE is great here. Sending parcels to Canada is much cheaper than sending them from Canada...And the mail (man/woman) deliver the mail in cool orange vests and bomb around on fancy orange motor bikes...

4) Cheese is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, and so is lamb. However, be prepared to pay out your nose for anything else edible. After all we are on an island.

3) WATER is a precious precious commodity. You realize this when you have to use your "laundry water" to water your front lawn. (as an aside 2 loads covers the entire front lawn - 3 to also water the trees) As a secondary side....clothes dryers are rare- everything is hung on the line. Also, I'm still having to learn that it's ok to drink rain water - EVERYONE does it - and it's supposed to be better for you than regular town water. Acid Rain has been etched into my brain from a young age...Hard to unlearn that one.

2) Most common phrase I say: KEEP LEFT! That's me talking to me, so I stop driving down the one way streets the wrong way. 3 times now... I should have learned my lesson. I would like to live!

1) WORD CHANGES: capsicums not red peppers, coriander instead of cilantro. tom(ah) toes not tom(eh)toes - and please don't call them pot(ah)toes...lol! jump(ah)s not sweaters, swimmers or togs instead of swimsuit, windscreen not windshield. bonnet and boot not hood and trunk...torches instead of flashlights, thongs instead of flip flops... the list goes on...

Comments

Leanne said…
crazy to hear all the differences! glad to hear from you again!
Kristina said…
do you have an accent yet?
Larph said…
so what's a 'flamin' ghala'?
Angela Oliver said…
well... ralph if you must know - it's a colorful bird...and i mistakenly called them ga-roo-la-roo's once..i think that's a cool name

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes