Hallowe'en-Not my scene.


Hallowe'en isn't celebrated here in Australia, and for that I'm actually thankful. I miss seeing the kids dress up (they look so cute!), carving pumpkins is great fun...and who doesn't love trick-or-treating? But I find I actually struggle with the history of the celebration.


From what I can understand, it started around the same time Jesus came 2000 years ago...

The Celts celebrated the New Year on November 1st, marking the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. (this info received from this link)

Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.

During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.

Now, I understand we don't do these things today - but is it okay to "be okay" with this type of celebration as a follower of Jesus? Should I just turn a blind eye? Is letting kids dress up "really" opening up yourself to the devil? What are your thoughts?

Comments

joanna said…
this is something i've thought quite a bit about. of course the roots of this festival are pagan, not super cool, but i figure to not celebrate in the way my culture does because of that would make me a hypocrite when i put up my christmas tree or let my kids hunt easter eggs, both super-pagan practices that have been accepted by christian culture that i'm emotionally attached to.

i've also found hallowe'en night to be the only night of the year that anyone in our 'hood is excited about having strangers knock on there door to say hi and the 2 years we went out with Soph to neighbours when she was really little i met more people than any other time, and i liked that.

i do also find people here think it's the best night to be drunk, stupid, loud, and totally insensitive to kids and families. don't like that.

the best advice we got on this (i was allowed to TorT wade wasn't and he is till suffering candy withdrawl) was from Don N., who told us they always took the approach that the Bible is really clear about fear, and that we're not to do anything to cause fear in anyone. So this year was the first year Soph was old enough to talk about how our family do will do things that are silly and fun, but not anything scary, because the bible says "fear not." She was wondering afterwards when a friend dropped off a bag of somewhat questionable decorations if they owned a bible - a good lead-in for her next chat?

thanks for the topic. miss you.
Angela Oliver said…
Thanks for your input Joanna! That was super inciteful! I knew you had thought it through - just hadn't really figured it out myself, yet. One thought to muse... Even tho Christmas Trees and Easter Eggs are also results of Pagan festivals (which I'm not super aware of the specifics on that) Then, instead of accepting all these things, should we deny ourselves these things? (Yah right - Don't take the chocolate easter eggs from me! LOL!) Yet these holidays are based on the greatness of my Saviour - not mourning the lost and trying to read the future- right?Oh, I don't know? I'm thankful for the thoughts!!!
jamie said…
I remember when I was in Vancouver I felt more weird about Halloween then I do now, because of that whole march of the souls thing or whatever on Commercial Drive.... Halloween felt a little more creepy there, whereas here it seems much more like how it was when I was a kid - all about candy and dressing up and having fun. It just really felt like a completely different atmosphere, which surprised me. So, no insights or anything but just my observations!
Larph said…
You're a cool chica, ang.

i like the thoughts that come out of your head.

ralphie
Anonymous said…
I get where you're coming from! I struggled a bit with this when we had to make the decision whether or not to let Emma go out. The thing for me is we are so very far removed from the actual beginnings of Halloween. In our house, it's only about dressing up and getting candy. Period. We don't "celebrate" and the only decoration we have is the pumpkin, because we like to eat the seeds! My problem with it now is that we live in a VERY legalistic town that has indoctrinated many of the kids with the notion that trick or treating is the same as worshipping Satan. Not cool. We've talked to our kids about how yes, SOME people use this day as a day to celebrate evil. However the rest of us are just using our kids for free candy! (haha)

Personally, I don't have a problem with letting my kids dress up. They play dress up every other day of the year, it would be silly to tell them they can't on that one day. The private school in our area has gone so far to say no dressing up on Oct 31...but it's okay to dress up on Oct 30. They do exactly the same things our school does - costume parades, movies, and treats. How is that any different?

For us, it's what your focus is, the same as at Christmas and Easter. And actually, we use it as a catalyst to talk about how Jesus will overcome Satan in the last days. Evil has no power over us! :)

Awesome post, Angela!
Leigh Oliver said…
I think the most interesting thing about this post is how your view of your culture can be clearer when you are standing on the outside. I know for me when I went to Canada I began to realise how much sarcasm was accepted in the Australian culture. I realised that I thought it was OK to be sarcastic, to the point of being mean. It wasn't until I was in another culture that this became clear to me and I was able to try and change the way I acted.
Obviously people need to decide for themselves what their view of this holiday is and if and how they will celebrate it. It seems that even those who let their kids participate in it have had to take the time to think a lot about it before making their decision. The thing I find about it that's strange is that it seems the reason most people have to justify celebrating it is that they don't want their kids to be seen as different or miss out on anything. I know for me personally if I had to try and justify it being OK then it probably wouldn't be OK. Sure it might be easier to justify it and go with the crowed, but for me I just don't see it being worth that. I think I could only be OK with it if I thought it was a good thing, not just something that's not "that bad". Of course I don't know what it's like to grow up in a culture that celebrates halloween and maybe it's not that big of a deal. But I sure do appreciate the fact that it was never an issue for me to have to decide if it was OK or not, all that candy couldn't possibly have been good for me.
Ryan said…
I like Candy.

Popular posts from this blog

Burstin' With Broadway!

The Art of Making Mistakes